Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Pondering on distributed computing in .NET

After working on a highly scalable application for almost a year now, using Silverlight, WCF, Entity Framework and Sql Server and after reading and replying to numerous questions on these topics and seeing the struggle developers are having with these new ways of doing things, I started thinking about how this could be made easier.

What I figured was that I don't really care about what part of my software runs where, which is basically a 'cloud' way of looking at things. So why not do everything in the cloud then? Well, there are lots of reasons not to, including costs and customer trust, but that's not what this post is about. It boils down to us not wanting to do everything in the cloud just yet.

That thought however, led to something which is not very new, but hasn't really been very popular either. I guess object messaging describes it for what it is. Basically what I'm saying is that objects may or may not know each other, but any object can send out messages to other objects, it being send directly or through a message dispatcher. Some (but maybe not all) objects would be able to recieve messages.
I wanted to figure out why it is not very popular today and instead of just reading hundreds of webpages, trying to find out why, I thought a cool way of ganing this understanding would be to simply design and build my own messaging framework.

An object can be anywhere
The first thing to do is to make it clear to myself what the concept is going to be. My first statement is that an object can be anywhere. It can be on the same thread, in a different thread, on the same machine or on a different machine, it really shoudn't matter. All I want to do is tell the framework to send message X to object Y and it should be taken care off.

.NET == .NET == .NET
What I mean by this is that as a Microsoft fanboy I obviously wanted to build this in .NET (C#). I also want this to work on a wide variaty of process types, wheter it is a command line application, a Silverlight client, a service hosted in IIS or in Azure, or an NT Service, shouldn't matter. It should all connect implicitly.

Challenges
This does bring along some technical challenges. For example a Silverlight client can connect to a service perfictly but connecting to a Silverlight client in that same fasion is not going to work, so recieving messages there is going to be a challenge, especially if keeping it transparent comes into play.

Dealing with concurrency is another big thing that comes into play. All of a sudden everything that's not in my object is asynchronous, which can be a challenge. This brings a whole new way of developing objects. Whenever a message is recieved, do I need to stop work and check if it is relevant for what I'm doing right now, or should I just ignore it untill I have time to deal with it? How do I keep track of what I've send out in relation to what comes back in? These are all questions that all of a sudden need answering.

I'll be looking into this stuff in the near future, writing some code and hopefully sharing it with you. Please let me know your thoughts on the topic.

No comments:

Post a Comment